Types of hosting services
A hosting solution involves stashing and/or sharing certain content on a web server managed by a web hosting company. There are different kinds of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's have a gaze at these. In this way, you can determine what you need, depending on whether you'd like to create a web portal, e-mail accounts, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service provided by given firms, which enables you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage accounts frequently involve ads next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a specific stretch of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally inapt explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would split the workload between separate stacks of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various site hosting services (mail, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a type of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; certain providers offer a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting variant is appropriate if you desire to share a large quantity of pics with chums or associates since the solution is usually free of charge. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your e-mail box accounts. Some firms provide hosting services for websites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to have a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to run a site, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can create email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and a few hundred site viewers, you may have difficulty with your web hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to run as many videos as you wish without bothering about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to keep a web site. To a certain extent, it consists of all of the abovementioned hosting kinds since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and e-mail aliases, upload videos, and so on. At NETHOST23, for example, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web hosting accounts that enable you to have all of the aforesaid services in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the regular email/file/video/image hosting packages that are designed for particular content exclusively.